Pages

Monday, January 11, 2016

Gloria J Zucaro's "Paula, Basquiat and Me"

Our mixed-media artist instructor with Creative Jumpstart 2016 led by Nathalie Kalbach for January 10 was Paula Phillips. She showed different methods of layering.  The one I had never tried before was to layer several colors, and put in words or areas with a white oil pastel. Cover that with a thin layer of acrylic paint.  Then use your heat gun or hair dryer to melt the oil pastel layer.  Wipe away with a baby wipe and you will see the first layers underneath.  So cool.

Paula had a "stack of books" stencil which I did not have, so I looked through my stash to see what I had that I might use.  I found a couple of text stamps, and a Tiki mask stamp.  The Tiki mask stamp just had that Basquiat "feel" to me, so I stamped it in several places and then used the design as my focal point. Basquiat also sometimes used large hands in his paintings. They reminded me of Mickey Mouse glove hands, so I added those to my stick figure body. The final and steps are below. I used acrylic paints, Sharpie markers, Golden Gesso and some stamps with a Ranger ink pad. I also drew in words, crowns and scribbles with a Scripto ink pen # 08.



text and bits of magazines, stenciled on paint, matte medium


more paint pressed on with paper towel


stamping


add oil pastel words(tomorrow, ok) and Tiki basic lines for head, add acrylic paint layer, melt off oil pastel to see underneath.
outline Tiki head and the word "tomorrow" in marker


go over page with gesso, wipe some off


Add body, hands and text.  Outline with black and white, fill in some areas with red and black marker.

9 comments:

  1. You are having fun with mixed media, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. It certainly is different! :>)

      Delete
  2. Gloria, I also have never heard of this technique. What fantastic results! I hope my mixed media class will try something like this Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faye. I know, I can see trying bigger open areas for more effect, or in windows on a building or in a mirror shape! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting technique! Thanks for showing us. It really creates a lot of depth. I like the soft, misty look. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heheheheh - ok - this one totally has me laughing out loud. SERIOUSLY Gloria - you are so so so soooooooooo great at these lessons... I'm blown away. This is INCREDIBLE!!!!!! j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your layering- gorgeous take on Paula s video!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message. I so appreciate hearing from you.