Friday, November 27, 2015

Gloria J Zucaro's "Some Finished , Some WIP"

My friend"Giggles" told me that the PPF link was not working, so I reinstalled it.  I hope now that you can find me!  Thanks so much for looking.

Except for putting my Permission To Play journal pages together with ribbon, I believe I am finished with the free workshop offered by Carolyn Dube. It was such fun and inspiring to see all the pages in other artists' books, too.  My pages are a little "sticky" so I am considering tips from other artists about sealing them for non-tacky finishes. Hairsprayclear gesso and wax???!

This week I also did some work on a portrait that I had previously drawn and based in with burnt sienna oil paint. It is from my class with Linda Vice at Mainstreet Art Centre in Lake Zurich, IL. 

Then I added some stained glass-like elements to my abstract "snow" painting.

I hope all of you who celebrated Thanksgiving had a lovely day and delicious food!

I am linking this belatedly to Paint Party Friday and my TwitterFacebook and Pinterest pages.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Gloria J Zucaro's "Second Sides"

Today I have done the base on the second side of my Carolyn Dube Permission to Play Cardboard Journal pages.
I used Carolyn's "Sparks of Inspiration" as well as cut-outs from old "The New Yorker" calendar pages for 2015.  There is gesso underneath, then a layer of Heavy Gel Medium by Golden, the cut-outs, then a layer of gel medium over the top.

Have a nice weekend!

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Gloria J Zucaro's "Bits & Pieces"

This week I have a couple of works in progress. I started a "snow" scene in oil. I picked unusual colors after using my color wheel and doing a thumbnail sketch. I decided to paint a base coat of Alizarin Crimson, which is transparent. I started adding in the darks. After talking to Susan Ploughe, an instructor at Mainstreet Art Centre, I decided what I wanted was an abstracted landscape with a traditional base. So I am at the stage now where I will start filling in more tree limbs that will become panes for a stained glass look in between each pair of limbs. That is the hope anyway. Below are some of the steps for this painting.

Hopefully this experiment will work out!

The other work in progress is the free workshop with Carolyn Dube. It entails making a mixed media journal. First I cut out similar sized pieces from a cardboard box. Then I applied white gesso. Next we were to add pieces of text, papers, stamps, receipts or whatever we wanted. I coated most of them with Gel Medium so that when more work is done on them the paint originally applied to them won't rub off. Some of the papers are from Carolyn and are called "sparks of inspiration", some are pieces of magazines made to look like leather in a workshop with Karen Sako, some are from gelli prints I made. I got the front sides done tonight and they are drying. I still need to do all the backs. I was also supposed to paint or gesso both sides of a ribbon, but I have to look for one in my basement tomorrow!

I am linking this to Paint Party Friday hosted by Kristin and Eva. Each week they feature a new artists' work. Every medium is represented, so take a look.  Have a good week,


Friday, November 6, 2015

Gloria J Zucaro's "Doings"

For Halloween this year I had a family dinner party and everyone came in costume and got Trick or Treat bags.  I am the skeleton, my daughter-in-law Amy is Sponge Bob, my grandson Enzo is Stinkbomb from Skylanders, my daughter Lucy is Queen of the Pokemon , and Risa , Amy's mother, is a little devil!

Lucy then took a picture of our group so that my son Louie could get in.  He was a creepy alien!

Portrait Class with Linda Vice; our first time putting all the parts of the face together into an actual portrait.

I joined Carolyn Dube's free workshop called "Permission to Play" last night.  The first thing we were to do was print out our permission slip and then cover it with a sealer and paint it.  I decided I wanted mine to look like an official document. I used Elmer's Glue all to seal the printing, then layers of several colors from CreateaColor Aqua Briques in their dry form. Afterward I brushed them with water.  It wasn't dark enough so I wet the brique that was a burnt sienna color and added more around the edges.  I filled in my name and signature with colored markers.   

I am linking this to Paint Party Friday as well as to my Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest sites.  I have also been doing some digital abstract work that you can see on my Society6 site.
Have a wonderful week.