Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

"Frida and Zentangle Moebius"

Today I am finally posting my painting from January 16 with Frida Kahlo inspiration and project led by Andrea Gomoll.  I kept trying to get it to look like I wanted it but it took a couple days of just thinking about it to decide what to do.  So then I got behind on the next two projects since we have one a day for 4 or 5 days in a row.  Catch-up time!

In Andrea's example she painted different types of leaves in her background, then took a black and white photo of herself and adhered it to the page.  Next she painted more leaves and flowers on separate paper, then cut them out and glued them on with foam dots that raised them off the page in the area to mimic Frida's floral headdress.
I decided to do the painted on leaves in the background, then add cut-outs from Dover books of flowers and butterflies that my daughter Lucy had given to me.  Well, my leaf paintings were terrible! I had painted them over some collage I had added first and I had tried also to stamp on some leaves but the foam stamps wouldn't imprint on the rough collage surface.  I also stamped on some birds. What a mess! But I proceeded to add the floral headdress anyway.
I outlined the flowers with black ink, then white ink.  I added the butterflies and did the same.  Then I added white ink, then changed the background color, then added Silks paint + gel over the butterflies. Everything was too dark.  Finally, today I added gesso mixed with an underlying blue watercolor pencil and added two larger pink flowers to the hair piece.  Now I am pretty happy with it.






The Final! Posted to Creative Jumpstart 2016

I am also posting to "I am the Diva"-Laura Harms site.  This week is highlighting the children with Moebius Syndrome.  Her youngest son is one of only 5000 people in the whole world that has this condition. Every year at this time, we use the symbol for the organization and their color purple in our Zentangle.  I used a 7" x 5" box piece covered with gesso as my substrate.  Please visit The Diva's site to see all the imaginative ways to tangle this image.








10 comments:

  1. Love the stamps. I have never used them and I see them a lot lately and feel inspired. I would love to try and make on myself. Lovely stuff. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dea, as I mentioned, they did not work over the rough collaged surface. I use those big foam stamps to put paint on my luggage so that when I fly with my black bags, I can always tell which bags are mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Moebious ZIA and what a great idea to tangle your luggage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stamp artwork is very beautyful. And the diva tile is also so lovely. With the different colours it looks a bit crazy (in a positive way) and also so full of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work! Loved seeing the steps for your journal page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great take on Andrea's CJS inspiration. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Freida inspired piece! I laughed at your account of frustrating obstacles - I now know I am not alone! Your Moebius design is gorgeous! It has an African tribal feel to it. So nice! I saw some (presumably) African ladies waiting to cross the street as we drove past the other day. I wanted to tackle them for their gorgeous patterned skirts. My husband just shook his head...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work. Fun journal page and wonderful mobius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Diva tile is so bold and beautiful! I love how it just pops into view when you look at it, almost tribal, which is one of my favorite looks. Your artwork for you Frida Kahlo piece is beautifully done. I have never been able to do collage much because I am not all that creative. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message. I so appreciate hearing from you.