Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Gloria J Zucaro's "Fifth Project with Jimmy Leslie"

Today's video was about all the different ways to use our acrylic mediums and paints.  Jimmy Leslie also suggested using supplies that are lying around the house and yard for applying our mediums or for adding 3-D elements to our collage work.  So I used the mediums I had to do to my two pieces.  I tried making skins with my acrylic paints plus Airbrush Flow Medium.  It takes practice!  How to spread the paint on a surface, how thick if you want transparency, and how to remove it in more than a zillion small pieces when it dries!  I had thought to make fairly large pieces so that I could cut it into strips to weave together, thereby changing the colors.  For example, Jimmy showed a hanging piece that had the three primaries of red, yellow, blue.  When they were woven together the yellow and blue made green, etc. But alas!  My paint was applied to thinly, and totally shredded when I tried to remove it from the palette.  I decided to glue it onto a clear plastic card cover.  I did overlap some shreds and for at night when there is not window light behind it, I added some opaque paint in drips, and dashes here and there.
  

Examples of skins using either Credit card, knife or brayer to apply to palette paper.
On the window, you can see through the lighter colors
























Flat on the table to see how it will look at night on the window


For my other part of this project, I painted over an old painting with 2 coats of Black Gesso.  Then I used my Flexible Modeling Paste to Stencil some large snowflakes along the top edge.  I added a Stencil of a bird using Ceramic Stucco and a dried twig.  I used Heavy Gel Medium to cement down the twig.  Then I had to let everything dry.  Next I added some Handmade collage paper along the bottom edge.  I used SILKS paints to color the stucco on the bird and splattered with white Fluid Acrylic paint.  I wondered about adding more, or changing the bird to look more like a Cardinal, but decided I liked it as it is.



Now on to the next CJS 2017 Project!



10 comments:

  1. Wow! Very Nice! I didnt think to spread my acrylic skins the way you did ...The outcome is quite lovely!

    I love your little bird!

    Anne Jaffray BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. How did you do yours? Mine were not the success I had hoped for!

      Delete
  2. Love that you tried it. Acrylic Skins work best when you make them a bit thicker. When you add more fluid medium you can make the colors more sheen so that more light goes through even thought the skin is a bit thicker. I love your stenciled piece !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nathalie. I see more "skins" in my future!

      Delete
  3. So cool Gloria, I loved reading through each of your steps. The skins came out really great - lots of texture.
    I'm so inspired by the bird art too, love the little twig in the picture.
    Cheers :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Sue. Jimmy had so many good ideas with using mediums.

      Delete
  4. These are great, particularly love the way the acrylic skins turned out. I had trouble handling them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cath. Next time I will try Nathalie's suggestions.

      Delete
  5. love the technique and colourful bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine. It is fun learning new things!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a message. I so appreciate hearing from you.